Apr 25, 2012

Week 17 - Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls


This week is definitely a redo. The only reason for this is that I attempted a substitution on an ingredient that I had no idea about. I've never gelled anything and there's like no information at the store on the differences between gelling agents. Needless to say, I bought the wrong one. So this week's post is not complete until I redo the balsamic pearls.



So Caprese Salad..... not really a salad...not really that good. I have to say it's kind of addicting though. I wasn't a fan of the basil at first, so I tried just tomato and mozzarella. Pretty good. So I tried it with basil again...and again and again. I ate alot of this stuff. Not my favorite. I'm sure that adding the balsamic pearls will be better for the redo.

Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls
Ingredients:
Small tomatoes (cherry, grape, smaller than roma)
Mozzarella pearls (or fresh mozzarella cut into small pieces)
Fresh Basil
Balsamic Vinegar (not vinaigrette)
2oz Pack of Agar Agar (do not substitute)
1 cup Flavorless oil

Directions:
Put the oil into a clear glass container and place into the freezer for 30 minutes. Combine balsamic vinegar and agar agar into a small pot and bring to a boil. Stir well and empty into a heat-safe bowl. Using a dropper/syringe/child's medicine dropper, slowly drip the vinegar into the cold oil and pearls will form. When about 1/8 - 1/4 inch of pearls have been made, spoon them out into a glass of cold water. Strain the pearls. Repeat until the balsamic mixture has been pearlized.

For the salad portion, halve the tomatoes, place a small piece of basil and 4-5 mozzarella pearls on the tomato. Top with the balsamic caviar pearls and enjoy. Or not enjoy...it's up to you.